Electricity tarif for house is increasing few times in the past few years, reduce the energy consumption can save your electricity bill legally. 😉
And in this topic, we will put our concern to the following part:
- Air Conditioner
- Washing Machine
- Electronic devices like computer, speaker, radio, television
- Switch off the lights that are not in use or when you don’t really need it.
- Maximize daylight usage.
- Keep light bulbs and light fittings clean to maximize the lighting efficiency.
- Replace incandescent lamps like ordinary bulb with compact fluorescent lamps (CFL).
Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) saves up to 75% of electricity consume compared to ordinary bulb, but it can produces the same amount of light and less heat. CFL lasts for 6 to 8 times longer than ordinary incandescent bulb or even more.
So, basically using CFL can save your money and energy, and help to protect the environment.
|Ordinary bulbs||CFL equivalent|
- Set room temperature to 23-25’C during hot whether and higher during raining season.
- Clean the filters regularly to make sure the ventilation and to decrease the workload of the air conditioner.
- Keep the windows and doors closed when turn on the air conditioner. Use curtains or blinds to shade against the sunlight.
- Remove any obstructions at air vents in air conditioner.
- Turn off air conditioner when it’s not in use or set auto turn off when you sleep.
- It’s not necessary to turn on for whole night. Set the timer to shut down when you go on bed. It can set 30-60 minutes after you fall asleep to reduce energy.
- Of course, use fans instead of air conditioner will save even more. 😉
- Do not set the refrigerator temperature unnecessarily low.
- Let the hot/warm food to cool down to room temperature prior to transfer it into refrigerator.
- Use microwave to cook small quantities of foor or reheat dishes.
- Use pressure cookers as they can save up to 66% cooking time.
- Always cover pans with lids to keep the heat inside to save energy.
- Turn off the oven or fire before cooking is completed. Let the residual heat finish the job.
- Do not start cooking too early ahead of the meal time, because reheat or keep food warm simply wastes energy.
- Defrost the frozen foods in air (room temperature) before cooking them. Not necessary to defrost with microwave.
- If you have less clothes to wash, then keep it for another day or two.
- Wash the clothes 2-3 times in a week to reduce the time of using washing machine.
- Full load for the machine. Half load of clothes uses almost same amount of energy as full load.
- Of course, if you hand wash your clothes save more energy than washing machine.
- Iron all items in 1 session to avoid frequent reheating of the iron.
- Iron the items requiring highest temperature first. Switch off the iron and use the residual heat for fabrics requiring low temperature like silk.
- Switch off the iron when it’s not in use for a period of time.
Electronic devices like computer, speaker, radio, television
- Switch off electronic devices after use.
- Avoid leaving appliances in standby mode if not going to use it for a prolong period of time.
- Standby power consumption for morest electrical appliances is small, typically ranging from 0.5 to 10W. However, with large number of devices all in standby mode, the accumulated power will be large. It can up to 5-10% of your total electricity use.
- When leaving home for vacation, switch off, or you can even unplug the electrical appliances from the power sources.
I think we shall stop here and tomorrow we are going to tell you in how to save the energy in office.
Beside that, if you have any other tips, please do not hesitate to share with us here.